This savory and sweet, lightened-up Thanksgiving dish will rock your world!
Looking for an easy-to-make, delightful side dish to bring to your Thanksgiving feast? Look no further. This healthier take on the classic sweet potato casserole uses cleaner ingredients and still has the same great taste.
With a crunchy sweet top and warm delicious mashed taters, this is a dish you can’t pass up!
Hey hey! The countdown is on. T-4 days until one of my favorite holidays 🦃🍗🍠🥐🍷Thursday I will go to my mom’s side of the family and celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas! (Yes, we do both, Thanksgiving dinner at noon and then Christmas cookies and opening presents after!) And then I do the same with my dad’s side on Saturday. It’s a festive few days filled with food, family and food comas lol 😂
It’s actually the first Thanksgiving that Nick and I will celebrate together. We both have big families with long running traditions and we’ve decided to finally do the split. This year, Thanksgiving with my family and Christmas with his.
And my brother and future sister-in-law are coming to town too, so I’m extra excited! It’s the most wonderful time of the year!
This sweet potato casserole is among the top picks for this year! It’s right up there with apple pie and my all time favorite mashed potatoes and gravy!!! What are your favorite Thanksgiving food?!
I tested this recipe a couple of weeks ago and had a whole pan to eat by myself. It took me a whole week, but you better believe I didn’t leave a bite behind 😉 Then I had to make it again to shoot, but I saved that one to take to my grandmas. I can’t wait to chow down on it again! This time to share. 🙂
Sweet potatoes are my favorite so when it came to picking a cleaner recipe to share for the holiday, I knew this had to be it. I replaced butter, eggs and sugar with coconut oil, applesauce and coconut sugar.
The dish is completely gluten free and vegan-friendly, so all your allergy sensitive family members can enjoy this scrumptious side.
It’ll take about 30 minutes to prep and 30 minutes to bake, so set aside some time, I guarantee you won’t regret it! You’ll start by either microwaving the sweet potatoes or boiling them until tender (about 10 – 15 minutes depending on side of potatoes). Then you’ll scrape the insides into a bowl (discarding the skins) and add brown sugar, melted coconut oil, applesauce, almond milk and a dash of nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla extract. You’ll blend it all up with a hand mixer and then pour the sweet potato mash into a 9 inch baking dish. Next you’ll prepare the topping. In a smaller bowl, mix together melted coconut oil, light brown sugar, almond flour and chopped pecans. Once combined, pour over the top and pop the pan in the oven (about 30 minutes) Once the top is browned, take it out of the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes. Then dive in! I’m sure you’ll be back for seconds 🙂
- • 4 sweet potatoes
- • ½ cup applesauce, unsweetened
- • ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- • ½ cup almond milk
- • ¼ cup brown sugar
- • 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- • ½ teaspoon salt
- • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- • ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- • ⅓ cup brown sugar
- • ⅓ cup almond flour
- • ¾ cup pecans, chopped
- • ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 inch baking dish, set aside.
- Microwave the 4 sweet potatoes or boil them until tender (about 10 - 15 minutes depending on side of potatoes).
- Once potatoes are soft, scrape the insides into a bowl, discarding the skins
- Add ½ cup applesauce, ¼ cup melted coconut oil, ½ cup almond milk, ¼ cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Blend ingredients with hand mixer and then spoon sweet potato mash into baking dish, set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together ¼ cup melted coconut oil, ⅓ cup brown sugar, ⅓ cup almond flour, ¾ cup pecans, chopped and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Once combined, pour over the top of the sweet potato mixture and throw the dish into the oven for 30 - 35 minutes, until top is golden brown
- Take dish out of oven and let cool for about 5 minutes. Enjoy!