A fresh and light salad perfect for any summer day!
Hey hey hey! Happy father’s day! If you’re looking for a meal or side dish to serve with your dad-approved red meat meal, this one’s your winner! It’s light, fresh and versatile. You can add a little chicken to give it a protein boost, or eat it without, to compliment your main dish. Either way it’s delicious!
I’m not going to lie, I’m not a huuuge salad person. I think it’s because that’s all I used to be able to eat when “gluten free” wasn’t a thing. I know it’s hard to believe but gluten free meals weren’t always so accessible, especially five years ago.
I can’t tell you how many times I went through the salad bar at college because I was too afraid to ask if something else was gluten free. Thank gosh the days of embarrassment are gone. Now, I’ll go out to eat and forewarn the waiter that I’m going to be difficult. Oh how times have changed!
Even though I don’t crave salads, I still incorporate them into my meal prep at least once a week. This recipe makes an appearance quite frequently (this, and buffalo chicken salad, ooooh buddy! They are both Nick’s favorites.)
So what makes this oh so tasty? 😋
- Red Onion.
That’s it! Plus the dressing – a little olive oil, balsamic and brown sugar to compliment the sweet strawberry flavor. It couldn’t get any easier than that!
All you have to do is grill or bake the chicken and let it cool. Or if you meal prep, you might already have some on hand 🙂 Throw all the ingredients into a large bowl, whip up the dressing and drizzle it on top. Viola you got yourself a healthy, whole foods meal in less than 5 minutes
The best thing about salads is that you can pick and choose what you want to throw in. Don’t like feta? Leave it out or replace it with another light cheese. Don’t like walnuts? Try slivered almonds. I’m all about adaptations!
p.s. – This recipe serves two, so if you’re only making for one, cut the recipe in half! Hope you enjoy 🙂
- • 4 cups spinach
- • 8 oz chicken, grilled or baked
- • ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- • ¼ cup feta, light or fat free
- • ½ cup strawberries, sliced
- • ½ avocado, sliced
- • ⅓ cup red onion, finely or coarsely chopped
- • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- • 2 tablespoons olive oil
- • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Grill or bake the chicken until done, set in fridge to cool.
- Toss 4 cups spinach, 8 oz cooked chicken, ¼ cup chopped walnuts, ¼ cup fat free feta, ½ cup sliced strawberries, ½ sliced avocado and ⅓ cup chopped red onion into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the dressing ingredients - 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Stir until brown sugar dissolves into liquid.
- Pour dressing on top of salad and mix well. Enjoy!